Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's Coming Together

While I was napping this afternoon, Dave was busy in the garage building our chicken coop. As you can see from these photos, he is making great progress.



When completed, the chicken coop will be a 4 foot by 8 foot structure with two doors on opposite sides for cleaning, three nesting boxes, and an 8 foot perch. The floor consists of 1 by 2 inch galvanized wire. I will cover this with cardboard and/or newspaper as I have read that the birds should not stand on wire flooring for prolonged periods of time. Dave opted for a wire floor rather than a solid plywood floor because he believes it will be easier for me to clean. I will remove the cardboard periodically and put it in my compost pile and pressure hose the floor as needed when the birds are in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment