Monday, May 25, 2009

Fencing on the Brain

It has been a while since our last post. This is because Dave and I have embarked on another chicken project entailing lots of physical labor. By the end of the day, neither of us had any energy left to write about our doings. Dave sent several photos to his father last night with the following comments. This will give you an idea of the changes we are making to our yard:

Dave -

I felt that our chickens needed more room to roam given the fact that we have been telling everyone that we are raising "free range" chickens. The chickens had pretty much decimated all of the grass in their initial 75'x20' chicken run so I decided to extend the fenced in area to encompass most of the hill that makes up our yard.

Shirley and I set four of the six corner posts on Saturday. When I put in the original fence, I simply dug two foot holes and tamped the dirt around the posts. This time around, I opted to set the posts in concrete. Using concrete simplifies the job considerably. The downside is lugging 50 pound bags of concrete mix to the top of the hill...phew!

I watched several YouTube videos to learn how to install field fence. I learned a new technique for wrapping the fence around the fence posts and making knots.

The chickens are happy in their expanded space.

No comments:

Post a Comment